Study programmes / B-AGE Agricultural Engineering / Plant Protection
Course code:OCHRR
Course title in language of instruction:Ochrana rostlin
Course title in Czech:Ochrana rostlin
Course title in English:Plant Protection
Mode of completion and number of credits:Exam (5 credits)
(1 ECTS credit = 28 hours of workload)
Mode of delivery/Timetabled classes:full-time, 2/2
(full-time, hours of lectures per week / hours of seminars per week)
Language of instruction:Czech
Level of course:bachelor
Semester:SS 2019/2020 - FA
Name of lecturer:Mgr. Ing. Eva Hrudová, Ph.D. (instructor)
Ing. Lada Klimešová (instructor)
Ing. Aneta Nečasová (instructor)
prof. Ing. Radovan Pokorný, Ph.D. (examiner, instructor, lecturer, supervisor)
doc. Ing. Hana Šefrová, Ph.D. (examiner, instructor, lecturer)
Ing. Jana Víchová, Ph.D. (examiner, instructor, lecturer)
Prerequisites:none
 
Aims of the course:To give knowledge in important plant pathogens, pests and pest management; plant protection - environment - quality of eatable relations
Course contents:
1.Plant protection and environment (allowance 1/0)
2.Plant pathogens and causes of plant diseases (allowance 1/14)
 
a.Symptomatology and diagnostic methods
b.Viruses, mycoplasmas a bacteria
c.Phytopathogenic fungi

3.Plants and pathogens relation (allowance 2/0)
 
a.Saprophytism, parasitism, necrotrophy, biotrophy
b.Susceptibility, immunity, resistance, tolerance, hypersenzitivenes
c.Epidemiology

4.Control principles and possibilities, pesticides and environment (allowance 2/0)
5.Important plant diseases and pest management (allowance 8/0)
 
a.Field crops
b.Vegetable
c.Fruit trees and grape vine

6.Insect morphology, anatomy and development (allowance 8/0)
7.Insects and plants (allowance 2/0)
8.Pest control (allowance 4/0)
 
a.Methods and strategies of pest control
b.Integrated pest management

9.System of agricultural important nematodes, acarides and insects (allowance 0/14)

Learning outcomes and competences:
Generic competences:
 
-ability to apply knowledge
-ability to solve problems
-ability to work independently
-skilled at utilizing and processing information

Specific competences:
 
- Knowledge of interrelationship between host plants and pathogens
-Bases of pest and disease management
-Knowledge in morphology, taxonomy and development of insects
-Skills of determination of important field crops and fruit trees pathogens
-Skills to assess insects function in agriculture, food and household

Type of course unit:required
Year of study:Not applicable - the subject could be chosen at anytime during the course of the programme.
Work placement:There is no compulsory work placement in the course unit.
Recommended study modules:none
Assessment methods:Participation on seminars (min 80%), determination of pests (10% of total mark), test - pests (40% of total mark), oral exam 20 minutes - pathogens (50% of total mark)
 
Learning activities and study load (hours of study load)
Type of teaching methodDaily attendance
Direct teaching
     lecture28 h
     practice28 h
Self-study
     preparation for exam42 h
     preparation for regular assessment42 h
Total140 h

Basic reading list
  • ŠEFROVÁ, H. Rostlinolékařská entomologie. 1st ed. Brno: Konvoj, 2006. 257 p. ISBN 80-7302-086-6.
  • HRUDOVÁ, E. -- POKORNÝ, R. -- VÍCHOVÁ, J. Integrovaná ochrana rostlin. 1st ed. Brno: Mendelova univerzita v Brně, 2006. 151 p. ISBN 978-80-7157-980-9.
  • KŮDELA, V. -- KOCOUREK, F. -- BÁRNET, M. et al. České a anglické názvy chorob a škůdců rostlin = Czech and English names of plant diseases and pests. 1st ed. Česká akademie zemědělských věd, Odbor rostlinolékařství :, 2012. 272 p. ISBN 978-80-905080-4-0.
Recommended reading list
  • ALFORD, D V. Pest and disease management handbook. 1st ed. Oxford: Blackwell Science, 2000. 615 p. ISBN 978-0-632-05503-6.
  • KŮDELA, V. -- KOCOUREK, F. et al. Seznam škodlivých organismů rostlin: viry, prokaryota, houby a houbám podobné organismy, živočišní škůdci, plevele a parazitické rostliny :. 1st ed. Praha: Agrospoj, 342 p. ISBN 80-7084-232-6.